The station opened on 31 January 1903 under the name Bagnolet. Until April 1903 it was the eastern terminal of the then line 2North from Anvers.
It is situated on the border of the 11th and 20th arrondissements. In August 1970 it was decided that the station should be renamed to avoid confusion with the future terminal of the line 3. The name Alexandre Dumas was chosen, after the authour of the classic novel "The three Musketeers".
Today it is served by the metro line 2.
The entrance to the station is kept in Art deco style. To the left and right are two tall lampposts in flower shape with red lights. They hold a sign with the lettering "Metropolitain" between them.
The green cast-iron balustrade is made of panels with nature shapes.
At the end of the entrance at ground level are three round white lights in metal fixing.
Hand rails are provided at both sides and small raisedcircles on the ground alert sight impaired travellers.
The station sign is placticised metal with a blue background and white upper and lower case letters.
Dark grey plastic seats have been mounted on yellow metal bases fixed to the wall with a yellow bar.
Advertising is placed in large metal frames.
The station has two side platforms. The ground is painted in grey, with a white thick line to highlight the edge towards the tracks.
The vaulted ceiling and the walls are covered in white rectangular tiles with a raised centre.
The silver coloured lights run above the edge of the platform. Rows of light tubes shine up and reflect on the top metal flat boards.